Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Blog post - challenge of traditions against a new wave of ICT

I really feel like I'm joining the teaching profession at an amazing time of opportunity.My 5 years in telecoms were fascinating even watching as it was even evident that they were struggling to come to terms with the new opportunities of mobile communications, and their use for data - not just voice. Right now there's a lot of of the older traditions that will always be valid, the skill of the teacher. And lots are evolving as they should do - behaviour management, special educational needs, etc. But there's some massive sea changes in HOW information can be supplied and found. The development of the Internet, couple with ubuituous access for many people of all financial means, has meant that there are some new challenges that are seriously affecting old methods. Not in any sense of the fact that pupils still have to learn to learn, improve their knowledge, and expand their ideas and creativity, but that this ease of access has also placed new challenges in other means - it's easy to just become a consumer of everything, not actually a creator. am I wrong on this attitude/idea? I don't feel that it's a fully formed thought myself yet, but that it's something that I'm trying to consider as I teach to my pupils. What method do you use to inspire people to learn when many believe that it's easier to just look it up on Google?

No comments: